EMMAUS: Lay Preaching for the Occasional Preacher (Spring Session)
- 7:30 pm
- Tuesday, April 25 to Tuesday, May 23
Using “A Lay Preacher’s Guide: How to Craft a Faithful Sermon” by Karoline M. Lewis, Pastor Jon Mapa will walk the occasional preacher through the book and provide the tools needed to be a good preacher. This online course will cover the basic elements of a good gospel-centered sermon, and provide conversational space and practical tips for preaching. Participants will be encouraged to craft a sermon and share with the group for feedback.
This is a 5-session course offered online using Zoom. Each 90-minute session will include a conversation about the assigned chapters in the book with added insights from Pastor Jon Mapa.
- Week 1 – Course overview, A Faithful Sermon is Biblical (NOTE: ‘Introduction’ and ‘A Faithful Sermon is Biblical’ should be read before the first class)
- Week 2 – A Faithful Sermon is Autobiographical and Contextual
- Week 3 – A Faithful Sermon is Theological and Intellectual
- Week 4 – A Faithful Sermon is Inspirational Emotional
- Week 5 – A Faithful Preaching Life
“Being called to ministry is a path many have reservations to pursue. This class picks a scripture to study for five weeks and develops a spiritual, intellectual, emotional, and real world connection between those in the class and our congregation. Classes are filled with humor, insight, and a God filled presence of a message full of His love and direction. I encourage anyone who has trouble writing or presenting a message, who is new to preaching the Gospel, or needs to be refreshed on presenting a sermon, to sign up for this class.” -Dale Hansen — Lay preacher Christ Lutheran Church Wisner
Dates: Tuesdays – April 25, May 2, 9, 16, 23, 2023
Time: 7:30-9:00PM Central/6:30-8:00 PM Mountain
Format: This is an online Zoom course. Links will be emailed in advance. Space is limited to 12.
Materials: All links and additional materials will be emailed to participants in advance.
Target Audience: This Emmaus: Lifelong Learning course is designed for the occasional preacher asked to preach when a pastor is out of town, special occasions, and the lay person is sensing a call to preach. Congregations utilizing the gifts of the occasional lay preachers are encouraged to support interested students.
*This course is not a substitute for the PMA preaching course nor continuing education credit for PMAs.
- Course fee $25/person plus the cost of the book.
- Students need to purchase their own copy of “A Lay Preacher’s Guide: How to Craft a Faithful Sermon” by Karoline M Lewis
- Purchase at Amazon, Augsburg Fortress, Walmart, Barnes & Noble
Registration Deadline: April 13, 2023 – No refunds after April 18, 2023.