EMMAUS: Growing Young Book Study & Planning for Change
- 7:00 pm
- Thursday, August 18 to Thursday, August 18
- 7:00 pm
- Thursday, August 25 to Thursday, August 25
- 7:00 pm
- Thursday, September 01 to Thursday, September 01
Explore the book Growing Young by Kara Powell, Jake Mulder and Brad Griffin with colleagues from across the state who would like to better engage youth, young adults and families in their ministries. Each session we’ll dive into learning about one or more of the six essential strategies that help young people love the church.
- Week 1 Topics (Chapters 1, 2 & 3): What congregations are doing right. Sharing power with the right people at the right time. Why 25 is the new 15, and 15 is the new 25.
- Week 2 Topics (Chapters 4, 5 & 7): What’s young about the Good News. Warm is the new cool. Loving and shaping your world well.
- Week 3 Topics (Chapters 6 & 8): From rhetoric to reality. How to create a plan for change.
Participants are strongly encouraged to read the book Growing Young by Powell, Mulder and Griffin, but it is not a prerequisite for participating in the course. Teams of two or more people from the same ministry setting are encouraged to register together so that each has one or more partners during the course and for follow-up work afterwards.
Lisa Kramme has served fourteen years as the Director for Faith Formation with the Nebraska Synod. She’s participated in a Growing Young Train the Trainer event offered by the ELCA and coordinates conversations about how to use Growing Young throughout the Nebraska Synod. Lisa is dedicated to offering experiences for young people to grow as leaders in the church, and she values what each generation brings to the life of the congregation. She lives in Fremont with her husband Keith and dog Owen, she’s a mom and grandma, and she loves building community through stories and art.
Dates: Thursdays – August 18, August 25 and September 1
Time: 7:00-8:30PM Central/6:00-7:30 PM Mountain
Format: This is an online Zoom course. Links will be emailed the week of the first session.
Target Audience: This will be appropriate for rostered ministers, PMAs and laypeople who are interested in engaging young people in their congregation. It is for paid staff as well as volunteers. The course will be appropriate for adults of all ages.
- Free plus the cost of the book.
Registration Deadline: August 11, 2022