Synod Council Notes March 2018
The Nebraska Synod Council took the following actions at its March 2018 meeting:
· Approved a recommendation to the Synod Assembly that the proposed order of business and proposed rules of order be adopted.
· Approved the recommended list of agencies and causes that may present their needs to Nebraska Synod congregations.
· Approved appointments to the Assembly Minutes Committee and the Resolutions, Reference and Counsel Committee.
· Approved a recommendation to the Synod Council that the 2017 audit be approved upon its receipt, conditional that the report is a clean report.
· Reauthorized the Nebraska Synod’s authorized worshipping communities.
· Reauthorized representative of congregations under development and synodically-authorized worshipping communities to serve as voting members of the 2018 Nebraska Synod Assembly.
· Approved a recommendation to the Synod Assembly that the 2019 Compensation Guidelines be approved.
· Approved changes to constitutions and bylaws for 17 congregations.
· Approved request of Immanuel for the election of Michael McDannel, Cynthia Alloway, George Grieb and Clarence Nichols to the Immanuel Board of Directors.
· Approve request of Nebraska Lutheran Campus Ministry Corporation for the appointment of Mike Bokoven to the NeLCM Board of Directors.
· Authorized the following ministries as Mission Field Nebraska for one year:
o Followers of Christ Prison Ministries
o Fontenelle Community Church
o Iglesia Luterana San Andres
o Lakota Lutheran Center and Chapel
o Sudanese Messiah Worshipping Community
o Nile Lutheran Chapel
o Sudanese Lutheran Fellowship, Grace Lutheran
o United Asian Evangelical Lutheran Ministry
o Spirit of Grace Lutheran Church
o Seeking the Spirit Within
o Table Grace Café
o All the Children of God (formerly Todos los Hijos de Dios)
o The Welcome Center
o Lutheran Service Corp
· Appointed initial members of the 2019 Synod Assembly Planning Team.
· Granted voice and vote at Nebraska Synod Assemblies to Rev. Robert Schlismann of the Episcopal Diocese of Nebraska, while he serves as Pastor of St. Luke Lutheran Church in Stanton, Nebraska.
· Released Immanuel, Ceresco, from the roster of congregations of the Nebraska Synod and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America after two properly called and conducted congregational meetings in October 2017 and February 2018.
· Adopted an amended 2018 budget, adjusting revenue to reflect more current assumptions and reducing expenses to achieve a balanced budget for the year.
· Approved a $5,000 grant for the Project Embrace summer programs at Augustana and First, Omaha.
· Approved Synod Council call extended to John Gok Kuany Badeng as Mission Developer at Nile Lutheran Chapel, Omaha, and approved his housing allowance as part of his compensation.
· Approved compensation and benefits increase for Bishop Brian Maas.
· Approved the recommendation and rationale of the Resolutions Reference and Counsel committee related to Resolution 2018:1 and Resolution 2018:2.
· Approved a waiver of provision C.9.07 relative to transitional/interim contract and availability for call for the Rev. Kristine Schroeder.
· Approved renewal of existing Synod Council call to Ted Carnahan, Mission Developer at Spirit of Grace Worshiping Community, Holdrege, for one year, renewable, effective 7/1/18.
· Approved the transfer to the retired roster for Jonathan Jensen, Gretchen Ritola, David Sites, Sylvia Karlsson, Maria Szurpicki.