Synod Council Notes June 2018
The Nebraska Synod Council took the following actions at its May 31, 2018 meeting:
· Approved renewal of existing synod council call to Pr. Kristen Van Stee.
· Extended synod council call to Pr. Anna Speiser to serve a hospice & hospital chaplain, Providence Medical Center, Wayne, NE.
· Acknowledged transfer to the retired roster for Pr. Chris Farmer, Deacon Carl Rick Strong, Pr. Russell McDowell.
· Approved appointments of Julie Schmidt, PMA and Pr. Tim Stadem to terms on the PMA Steering Committee.
· Acknowledged the removal of Jennifer Wallwey from the Word and Service roster.
· Acknowledged the churchwide call issued to Pr. Inba Inbarasa through the Bureau for Federal Chaplaincy Ministries.
· Approved some congregation constitutions and bylaws.
· Approved Lutheran Family Services of Nebraska Board of Director appointees Greg Schilling.
· Approved appointments of NLOM Board of Directors appointees Carolyn Blobaum, Tom Birner, Michael Peck, Kris Bohac, Dale Fornander Sarah Willson.
· Approved Assembly Minutes Committee members
· Approved revised Synod Assembly agenda.
· Approved Nebraska Synod Deacons Ministry Network
· Approved Nebraska Synod Theological Educators Network
· Approved designation of some Lutheran Metro Ministries designated funds to support an urban ministry outreach effort in Omaha. Amount to be determined.
· Designated net proceeds of sale of St.James Lutheran Church of Edgar, NE to the Transformational Ministry Fund.
· Elected Synod committee members.
o Audit Committee: Robert King
o Budget and Finance Committee: Terri Dreessen, Gwen Edwards, Tom Garvey, Gayle Wichman
o Candidacy Committee: Jennifer Carnahan, Pr. Michelle Carlson, Pr. Jim Fruehling, Pr. Kathy Gerking, Pr. Glenda Pearson, Amy Wagner
o Nominating Committee: Wayne Grupe, Pr. Andrew Chavanak, Pr. Patrick Sipes, Pr. Stephanie Tollefson, Amy Woods
· Acknowledged four motions approved at the April 11 Executive Committee meeting: Approving recommendation and rationale of the Resolutions, Reference and Counsel Committee pursuant to the Synod Assembly that Resolutions 2018:2 and 2013:3, be approved; approving purchase of computer for the PMA program; approval of appointment of James Fruehlingi to the Wartburg Theological Seminary Board of Directors
· Expressed gratitude to synod council members whose terms ended with this meeting.