Confession of Faith
This confession is shared across the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA):
- This church confesses the Triune God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- This church confesses Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and the Gospel as the power of God for the salvation of all who believe:
- Jesus Christ is the Word of God incarnate, through whom everything was made and through whose life, death and resurrection God fashions a new creation.
- The proclamation of God’s message to us as both Law and Gospel is the Word of God, revealing judgment and mercy through word and deed, beginning with the Word in creation, continuing in the history of Israel, and centering in all its fullness in the person and work of Jesus Christ.
- The canonical Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are the written Word of God. Inspired by God’s Spirit speaking through their authors, they record and announce God’s revelation centering in Jesus Christ. Through them God’s Spirit speaks to us to create and sustain Christian faith and fellowship for service in the world.
- This church accepts the canonical Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments as the inspired Word of God and the authoritative source and norm of its proclamation, faith and life.
- This church accepts the Apostles’, Nicene, and Athanasian Creeds as true declarations of the faith of this church.
- This church accepts the Unaltered Augsburg Confession as a true witness to the Gospel, acknowledging as one with it in faith and doctrine all churches that likewise accept the teachings of the Unaltered Augsburg Confession.
- This church accepts the other confessional writings in the Book of Concord, namely, the Apology of the Augsburg Confession, the Smalcald Articles and the Treatise, the Small Catechism, the Large Catechism, and the Formula of Concord as further valid interpretations of the faith of the Church.
- This church confesses the Gospel, recorded in the Holy Scriptures and confessed in the ecumenical creeds and Lutheran confessional writings, as the power of God to create and sustain the Church for God’s mission in the world.
There are values that our Nebraska Synod congregations share with the entire ELCA:
- We are a church that belongs to Christ. There is a place for you here.
- We are a church whose unity is in Jesus Christ, who gathers us around word and water, wine and bread.
- We are a church that believes Jesus is God's "Yes" to us. Our lives can be a "Yes" to others.
- We are a church that believes God is calling us into the world – together.
- We are a church that rolls up our sleeves and gets to work.
- We are a church that is a catalyst, convener and bridge builder.
- We are a church that is energized by lively engagement in our faith and life.
- We are a church that is deeply rooted – and always being made new.